The chat room used on this website is the Xat chat service. I specifically chose Xat for both its simplicity and user friendliness. Firstly, users do not need to go through a tedious account creation process to use Xat. Upon entering this page, you will have automatically been logged into the chat room, no registration required. Yours will always be the name at the top of the list on the right.
- “How do I change my user name?”
- You may notice that your default name is something random and slightly humorous: “SnookieBum,” or something to that effect. You may change both this and your default user image at your leisure by clicking on your name in the list located at the right side of the chat window and editing the appropriate boxes.
- “My name keeps resetting. How can I make it permanent?”
- Your user information will reset every time the data stored in your web browser is cleared. Most people have little issue with it, though there are some who tire of fixing their name every time they visit. The only ways to prevent the data reset are either to avoid cleaning out your browser or to register an account with Xat.To register with Xat, first, type “REGISTER” into the chat room and hit the enter key. The message will become a link. Click this to be taken to the registration form. Fill out the appropriate information, validate your email address, log in, and voila! Your registered.
- “What other benefits are there to registering?”
- There are several benefits. The afore mentioned permanent name is one of them. Another is the ability to acquire higher ranks in the chat room.
- “What ranks are there?”
- Banned, denoted by a brown pawn next to the user’s name. These are users who have been banned either temporarily or permanently by a moderator, administrator, or owner for some violation of the room’s rules. They possess no powers whatsoever and can no longer speak in the chat room.
- Guest, denoted by a green pawn next to a user’s name in the list to the right. The only power guests have is the ability to talk in the chat. Guests are typically visitors who have either not registered a permanent account or aren’t regular site visitors.
- Member, denoted by a blue pawn next to the user’s name. These are users who have probably registered a permanent account and are regular site visitors. Members do not have any more power than a guest, but they typically get more respect.
- Moderator, denoted by a white pawn next to the user’s name. Moderators have the ability to either expel or ban guests and members from the chat room should they break the rules. These are registered users who regularly visit the site and have demonstrated both their own responsibility and a comprehensive understanding of the rules.
- Administrator, denoted by a gold pawn next to the user’s name. Administrators have all of the powers of a moderator in addition to some of their own, including the ability to demote and promote other members. These are either close friends or relatives of mine who I trust enough to oversee management of the chat room.
- Owner, denoted by a gold pawn with a black star next to the user’s name. Owners have totalitarian control over the chat room, having all of the powers of every other rank as well as the ability to promote or demote administrators. I am the only owner of this chat room.
Should anyone have any additional questions, feel free to send me an email through my contact page.
Chat room rules:
- Use appropriate language.
Casual profanity is allowed. That is to say, I won’t ban someone for dropping an occasional “f-bomb.” However, there are limitations to what language I’ll tolerate. I do not allow:
- Racial or ethnic slurs.
- Sexual harassment.
- Ad hominem (personal attacks).
- Discrimination is prohibited.
I am, quite paradoxically, intolerant of intolerance. This includes:
- Discrimination toward gender.
- Discrimination toward race, ethnicity, nationality, heritage, or culture.
- Discrimination toward sexual orientation.
- Discrimination toward either religious or irreligious philosophy.
- Discrimination toward either political affiliation or philosophy.
- Discrimination toward individuals with disabilities.
- Discrimination based on appearance.
- General bigotry.
- Hyperlink guidelines.
Posting hyperlinks (web links/URLs) is permitted. However, to prevent abuse, certain links are not allowed. These include:
- Linking to illegal, vulgar, graphically violent, or pornographic material.
- Linking to malicious or virus-infected websites.
- Advertisement or self-promotion.
- Impersonation policy.
Because users may change their display names at their leisure, there is always the potential for impersonation. I will allow impersonation in some scenarios; roleplaying, impressionism, or parodies, for instance; but only so long as it is clear that no sincere effort to deceive another person is being made, even if in jest. I would personally recommend preempting any such impersonation with a disclaimer, as it may otherwise result in a ban.